I am a woman searching for my inner goddess and using fabrics, words and photography as my road map. I find great comfort and order in my creative efforts and hope that in sharing them you find a peace also. Welcome and Be Blessed!

Friday, February 02, 2007

Getting My Phil of Adventure


Happy Marmota Monax Day or in Western Pa Lingo just a plain old Happy Ground Hogs Day to you. This just happens to be one of my daughter's favorite holidays. This years celebration on Gobbler's Knob in Punxsutawney PA happened to co-incide with Jenn being home, the weather being weather, and the Mom being willing. The alarm woke us at 1 am this morning and by 1:35 we were out the door and off on another wild and crazy adventure. We were going to watch the true prognosticator of weather tell us whether we would have to endure a long winter or get to enjoy an early spring. Boy, we were in for so much more then just a meteorological report- it was an extravaganza.

We drove 2 hours on less then perfect roads, parked at the Wal-Mart parking lot along with hundreds of others (honest there were charcoal grills going at 4 am), took a school bus (schools were closed) shuttle to Gobbler's Knob where we arrived about 4:30 am. We thought there was already a nice crowd there- we later found out that over 4500 Philnatics were in attendance. At 5:15 they announced that the temperature was 14 degrees and it was snowing on us. Jenn and I were in the middle of a sea of people and we honestly didn't feel the cold much- except the feet. They kept us moving with lots of foot shuffling, hip rocking, head bobbing music. When that sea parted later- brrrr, it was downright cold.












At 6:15 there were fireworks. This is the first time I have ever a fireworks display in the snow, also the first time I have seen them in an early morning sky- add to that booming Star Wars music and you will understand. This was amazing!!!!








At about 7:15 things really started to get serious. The crowd was introduced to the Inner Circle, and then, it was time. They knocked on the hollow stump and out came Phil. With great pleasure I present you with a part of Phil's decree for 2007

Phil's official forecast as read 2/2/07 at 7:28 a.m. at Gobbler's Knob:

El Nino has caused high winds, heavy snow, ice and freezing temperatures in the west.
Here in the East with much mild winter weather we have been blessed.

Global warming has caused a great debate.
This mild winter makes it seem just great.

On this Groundhog Day we think of one thing.
Will we have winter or will we have spring?

On Gobbler's Knob I see no shadow today.
I predict that early spring is on the way.





Technorati : , , ,

Recent Posts

Blog Archive

Black Box

Contributors

Red Queen's Mission Statement

I believe that things can always be cured with a hug and a cup of tea, fixed with either a needle and thread, duct tape, WD40 or coke, and that prayer works every time. I take in strays whether in animal or childlike form. I have been mother to many for a time and this is my way of keeping up with some of those straying children that I miss. I appreciate shock value and use it often to remind people that the world is round and colorful and we are not all living in square brown cardboard boxes with little holes cut in for windows. Look for the warm fuzzies- God delivers them up fresh every day just to say- I think you are pretty darned special- so special that I have your picture up on my fridge for life and I am sending you a hug to remind you that you matter to me.

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP