I am a woman searching for my inner goddess and using fabrics, words and photography as my road map. I find great comfort and order in my creative efforts and hope that in sharing them you find a peace also. Welcome and Be Blessed!

Friday, September 05, 2008

America's Special Needs


When I was in Jr. High and High School my Mom would receive calls from different organizations asking for her help walking the neighborhood for donations. She always said yes and then usually she would pass that job on to me. I had two that were easier sales for me because I believed in the work that they did. One was the American Cancer Society ( both my Mom and Stepdad smoked so I figured either they or I would need the help of this society) and the other was Jerry's Kid, the Muscular Dystrophy Association.



Little did I know at that point in my life that one day I would be a mother with a child who had special needs. My daughter Jessica was one of Jerry's kids. I got to learn first had what it means to be a mother with a child that has those "above and beyond the average" needs of childhood. As Jessica started school I began to learn about the other children in the area who had special needs. There were down syndrome children, autistic children, spinda bifida children, and then our granddaughter Hannah was born with lessencephaly ( her brain did not fully form). As I began to see others around me with "special" children I began to understand just how amazing it truly is that so many children are born healthy.



I was so excited to hear Sarah Palin speak not only about learning about the trials of now being a mother to a special needs child, but also that when she gets to the White House we special needs families will have an advocate. That might have been the biggest statement she made that evening and honestly the whole speech excited me. The following night I heard Cindy McCain's life story and heard that she was a special needs teacher. Hallelujah!!! There are many organizations out there that try to help the special needs community with the problems that arise, whether it be just a place to talk out the day, get necessary equipment, fund raise for research, read about how other parents dealt with the problems that arise or just remind America that these problems still exist and this organizations are priceless but to have advocates at the highest levels of Government will mean that these children are not back seat riders in this American dream. They will be front and center. The answers are not easy, actually even the questions are difficult but knowing that there is someone going through the same long hours and heart wrenching decisions and that they might have a bit bigger voice sure helps.



I am liking the idea of McCain- Palin more each day and while I have learned a great deal more about John McCain this week perhaps one of his greatest attributes is that he knows how to surround himself with powerful , smart, compassionate women, women who will be able to recognize many special needs in America.


Recent Posts

Blog Archive

Black Box

Contributors

Red Queen's Mission Statement

I believe that things can always be cured with a hug and a cup of tea, fixed with either a needle and thread, duct tape, WD40 or coke, and that prayer works every time. I take in strays whether in animal or childlike form. I have been mother to many for a time and this is my way of keeping up with some of those straying children that I miss. I appreciate shock value and use it often to remind people that the world is round and colorful and we are not all living in square brown cardboard boxes with little holes cut in for windows. Look for the warm fuzzies- God delivers them up fresh every day just to say- I think you are pretty darned special- so special that I have your picture up on my fridge for life and I am sending you a hug to remind you that you matter to me.

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP